The Punkaharju arboretum entails over 150 hectares of research forest, consisting of more than 50 species of trees, mostly conifers. Since the 1990’s, the arboretum has been thoroughly renewed and developed, aiming to collect all the conifer and hardwood species that could possibly thrive in the local conditions.
A total of 134 different species and special varieties of trees are represented in the arboretum. You can read all about the different tree families and species of as well as the special Finnish varieties from the signs.
The Finnish travel association built the Pususilta (Kissing bridge) in the 1930’s as a shortcut from the hotel Finlandia to the Valtionhotelli. Most likely, the name derives from the romantic endearments, which the natural beauty of the surroundings inspires in couples crossing the bridge.
In 1983, the bridge was refurbished and ceremoniously opened to the public – with kisses, of course.
Valtionhotelli, located on the Punkaharju ridge, represents the oldest architecture in the area and is closely linked to the development of the Punkaharju nature reserve area, established in 1840. The wooden main building of the hotel is high on the peak of the ridge. Intendant E.B. Lohrmann designed the building as living quarters for the foresters and lodging for travellers. Valtionhotelli opened in 1845.
The separate czarina’s villa was completed in 1898. Valtionhotelli also entails separate building from 1896 with living and storage quarters and wine cellar, a log sauna by the lake as well as a pavilion by the pier.
The main building was constructed in four different parts that join the different shaped verandas and balconies together. Decorative window frames, brackets and troughs break up the horizontal boarding.