Valtionhotelli, located on the Punkaharju ridge, represents the oldest architecture in the area and is closely linked to the development of the Punkaharju nature reserve area, established in 1840. The wooden main building of the hotel is high on the peak of the ridge. Intendant E.B. Lohrmann designed the building as living quarters for the foresters and lodging for travellers. Valtionhotelli opened in 1845.
The separate czarina’s villa was completed in 1898. Valtionhotelli also entails separate building from 1896 with living and storage quarters and wine cellar, a log sauna by the lake as well as a pavilion by the pier.
The main building was constructed in four different parts that join the different shaped verandas and balconies together. Decorative window frames, brackets and troughs break up the horizontal boarding.